College of Engineering Zoom Training
This training is designed to assist faculty, staff, and students with navigating the web interface and desktop application for day-to-day use of Zoom.
There are three parts to the training:
Part #1 - Between 30 - 60 minutes
A series of 2 to 3-minute videos designed to familiarize you with a specific learning objective. Learning objectives build upon one another to create knowledge in the end-to-end Zoom experience. Based on which modules you watch, how often, and what external reference material you read, some modules can take upwards of 10 minutes.
Part #2 (Optional) - Make an appointment for support
To better assist us with the effectiveness of your in-person training, please review this document regarding your typical use of the tool so we can effectively cover topics that are important to you. If you would like one-on-one training/support, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to talk with a member of your IT team to do focused training.
Part #3 (Optional) - Between 15 - 30 minutes
You are the host! We will give you a checklist of tasks to perform to successfully complete your first Zoom hosting duties. If you'd like to do a practice/dry run as a host to make sure your setup or skills are tested before the big day, let's do it! Please email us at email@example.com to schedule a time to have a member of your IT team create a practice meeting so you can be ready to go.
The goal of this training is start small and ensure that everyone who completes the program feels comfortable performing tasks within Zoom, beyond just joining a meeting and using a microphone with a webcam.
- First time sign-on
- Setting up a default picture
- Personal meeting ID & personal link
- Getting training / support
- First time sign-on
- Testing video
- Testing audio
- Virtual background
- Join through the Zoom client
- Join via the web
- Calling in
- Calling in with a cell phone
- What is a waiting room?
- Default video broadcasting
- Join before host & co-host
- Mute participants on entry
- Chat & Polls
- Local vs. Cloud recording
- Automatic recording
- Auto deletion
- Single meeting vs. recurring
- Verify time zone
- Meeting options
- Alternative hosts
- How to communicate/invite a meeting invite
- Video & audio controls
- Participants & chat
- Screen sharing
- Starting & Stopping a recording (during a meeting)
- Views during a meeting
- Leaving when you are the host
- How does a cloud recording work?
- How does a local recording work?
- What happens if I forget to record?
- Sharing recordings
- Deleted recordings – recovery options
- Audio issues
- Video issues
- Network instability
- How to update the Zoom desktop application